Tuesday, November 16, 2010

When I met you for the first time




When I met you for the first time, my heart was pounding. One year ago today, I walked into your room rather unknowingly you were behind the big, white door. Everyone looked as we walked into the room and I immediately scanned the stares for the one I had seen before in pictures. Our eyes met and it was all I could do not to just pick you up and smother you with kisses. Instead, I started with "Hi" my name is Martha, but you can call me mommy. Was that to forward? This is how it began with Aggie. Adam just ran over to Lee and jumped into his arms! It was almost as if someone had said "action" and the reuniting movie scene began to play out.

Has it really been a year since we first met? The time has just flown by and I just can't believe how much life has changed. I could have never imagined how awesome it was going to be, and we have really come so far. We have had our struggles understanding and trusting each other, but I think we are on the right track. There are lots of daily hugs and kisses and LOTS of I love you's. This day just throws me back into a flood of memories and I find myself sometimes giggling outloud or staring into space as my mind replays a certain moment during the trip. See that first day Here!

Do you remember when we couldn't figure out how to turn the lights on in the hotel room and had to ask Magda for help? or when we were able to take you both for a walk around the neighborhood for 2 hours? How about the street sign I took a picture of with the little girl holding the "candy on the stick"! or when we fed you lunch? These were wonderful, funny times when we met you for the first time. This journey has been incredible and just like I couldn't imagine how life would change, I can't imagine what God has planned for us next. But I know it will be good! ..... Adam and Aggie, you make us so Happy!

12 comments:

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Has it REALLY been an entire year? Or are you counting in dog years?

Congratulations on your first family birthday!

kelly said...

So sweet!

ourcontinuedadventure said...

A whole year already! Thanks for sharing the memories. You are on beautiful, happy family.
- Krystyna & Alex

Heidi said...

What a beautiful post and wonderful memories!

Jennifer said...

Great post. I enjoyed going back and reading about your first meeting. You can really see the different personalities kids have (with Adam's and Aggie's reaction)... Aggie just seems more reserved and analytical. :-) I have seen some videos of younger ones crying at the first meeting. Hoping for the best with my sibs (an encounter such as yours), but preparing it may not be that good....

Anonymous said...

I remember your posts from last year like it was yesterday! I can't believe it's been a year. I'm so glad you still post on your blog. I still can not imagine what it was like to have two at the same time!!! This holiday season is going to be GREAT!!!

The Rzentkowski's said...

How sweet.

Psalm 20:4
May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.

Tom and Kara said...

I was just thinking about you guys! I remember so distinctly the days when you went for your first trip. And there is Aggie's little chair! I remember when you posted about hunting it down on Ebay so she would have one when she came home, and I thought, yep, sounds like they are going to be some great parents. :)

Shelly said...

Isn't it just crazy how fast time is going now? I just can't believe it. I remember that first email, when you first fell in love in person. I am as happy for you now as I was then. You are one lucky family!!!

sarah said...

Congratulations on both your one year mark and on the baptism of Adam and Aggie!

Ramie said...

I agree with everyone else that it seems just like yesterday when you were waiting to meet your little ones! Don't you wish you could just slow the clock down....I know I do. I have been meaning to send you an email to thank you for some of the advice you gave us that came in handy! I am back to falling asleep while writing emails....maybe during the holidays I will be more awake!

James and Melanie said...

Beautiful photos of your childrens' baptizm and wow, has it really been a whole year! Time flies even faster now that your parents doesn't it?! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!