Monday, January 11, 2010

Be careful for what you wish for!!

There was a post I wrote a while back.....I might have to go find it. I wrote something about traveling to Poland in the winter wouldn't be so great, spring would be wonderful...winter not so much. I might have to eat my words because right now I would leave to go back to Poland in the sub zero temperatures. I really would! :)

Lee and I received notification that USCIS has provisionally approved our I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative. I think they throw the word "provisionally" in just to mess with you....I mean, by now we know there Must be another form to fill out! He, he, he!

Tonight, with help from LSS NY, we filled out the DS 230 "Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration" and the I-864W "Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption". The 230 is pretty straight forward and starts the Visa process, the I-864W is about making sure your adoptive children have "adequate means of financial support and that they are not likely to become a public charge." Government forms make me laugh. Any who! We are going to UPS these forms to Poland so they can be delivered to the US Embassy for review.

Here is where Spring starts knocking on our door.... After the US Embassy reviews our documents, an Article 5 is issued which if I understand correctly prompts our Judge to set a court date. However, sometimes we are told judges like to send the Article 5 to another governing body called the ministry? to review the paper work and they can take up to 2-3 weeks to stamp and return. Wow! (Insert extremely long pause and deep breath) So, we are hoping for travel dates at the beginning of February or possibly......beginning of March?

In order to end on a high note, I submit the following pictures of the crazy people I work with! They TOTALLY surprised me on Friday with a Toddler Shower! I HAD NO CLUE! :0
(PS - Very bad hair day -it was 5 degrees and I wore a hat, ear muffs and a scarf to work, so don't dwell!)










We are just nutty, I know! Actually, somebody spiked the punch! Just Kidding! :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! So many forms!! It appears overwhelming at first, but once you're doing something, ANYTHING, time files and it is no big deal.

What a great group of co-workers, it is great when you are lucky enough to work with fun and caring people.

sarah said...

Oh, for the love of paperwork! Let's hope the judge can review Article 5 on her (or his) own without forwarding to the Ministry...

Great pics with your co-workers. Even better than all those useful an fun presents is knowing how much support you have friends,family, and co-workers alike!

(Polish sub-zero winters... No problem! You are from Wisconsin! Bring it on...) ;)

Tom and Kara said...

It just seems like no matter how much they tell you, the surprises and small details never end....!

Between your three showers, I am sure you have enough STUFF for Adam and Agnieszka for years to come. Now if only you could go get them!! It looks like you have a lot of people that love you.

Rebecca W. said...

At least the end is in sight and your wait shouldn't be messed with by summer vacation time.

Ramie said...

Wow, I had no idea! Bet you never thought you would learn so much about the USCIS! It is so great we are all blogging, it helps us know what to expect-even though surprises still happen.
You have definitely been "Showered" with love!

C Speh said...

Wow, the process is very different with the Hague application process. Does all of this upfront paperwork make it any easier to get the Polish/US paperwork once you have the approval from the court?

Good luck and hope it all goes smoothly. Do you get to talk to your kids? I'm sending a package of vitamins and vaseline to the orphanage (their request) our daughter was at and I was thinking about throwing in a computer camera so that they can skype with parents during this wait timeframe. Painful for the parents and the kids.

Lee and Martha said...

Chris - The Computer camera is a GREAT idea! How thoughtful!

We haven't been given the opportuity to talk to the kids becuase no speaks english at the orphanage and our translator is extrememly busy. I love the Skype idea, though!!!

Regarding the paper work - Who knows! :)

Lee and Martha said...

Chris - The Computer camera is a GREAT idea! How thoughtful!

We haven't been given the opportuity to talk to the kids becuase no speaks english at the orphanage and our translator is extrememly busy. I love the Skype idea, though!!!

Regarding the paper work - Who knows! :)

kelly said...

Wow! What a great surprise :-) I hope you get travel dates soon, the waiting is so hard!! Cute pictures!

Jennifer A. said...

Hopefully these steps make it easier when you're there (which is hopefully sooner than later)! Love the work photos - looks like a great group! I think I see some Dora stuff in there. If Agnieszka is anything like Klaudia, she will love Dora! We watched it in Poland and now she can't get enough of it (I use it for bribery all the time).

James and Melanie said...

I think I am always the last person to read your posts! Oh well, better late then never, that is what I always say. Anyway, I love the pictures! It looks like you work with a great group of people. Can't wait for your travel dates. I've been waiting right along with you!

Jeff and Debbie said...

How wonderful it is to have such great friends and family to support you and encourage you while waiting to bring your kids home.

Have you checked with a local college to see if they have a slavic studies. Maybe someone there could help with translating during phone calls. However the time difference between Poland & WI can make it hard to coordinate calls.

Best wishes for a speedy return trip. But most importantly remember, His time not ours. It really is the best.