Thursday, November 19, 2009


Today, Lee and I are struck by some self discovery.... At different times throughout this process there have been mounds of paperwork, or apostilling difficulties or delays for a stamp which have placed visions of villans in our heads. Individuals who were making the process harder or more aggrevating. Truly, however, that isn't always the case. There are others in this process which deserve much recognition. The real heros of the adoption process are many, but I had forgotten about the caregivers. Maybe "forgotten" isn't the correct word, but I had not put a face to these individuals. There was no face on those whose hugs are the only hugs my children have known or whom they can remember being loving and kind. There was no face for those that have fed our children day after day and changed all their dirty diapers and have nursed them back to health when they have been sick. Today we said good bye and it was about the most difficult thing we have ever had to do. It was all I could do to communicate my appreciation to the caregivers by saying "thank you" over and over and over again as I reached out my hands from my heart. It is the blessing of the Caregiver that I will add into my prayers tonight, and it is their story and their face that we will never forget to include in our story.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I can only imagine how hard it is to leave your children until your court date. I hope that comes very quickly & that you bring your precious children home soon!!!!

KK said...

Very touching. I am sobbing at my desk!

Shelly said...

What a beautiful post and picture. We were one of the last families to be allowed a one-time trip, so we were never forced to say goodbye. I can't imagine all the feelings you are going through as you step into the next phase of your journey. May God shower you with paitence as you await your court date.

C Speh said...

The picture so clearly captures that emotion - at least the emotion we felt that day when we said good-bye. Our caregivers also so clearly took care of our daughter and gave her the environment in which to heal.

I'm so glad your visit went well and I hope you get your return dates quickly. Did they give any indication when that might be?

sarah said...

Tears. At my desk.

Here's wishing you a speedy return to Poland so you can say Dziekuje to your children's caregivers for that one, final time...

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

What a wonderful photo for this post. You may be wondering how you could thank the care-givers for everything they've done for your children.

There's one thing they would truly appreciate - send them photos and updates regularly on how the kids are doing after the adoption is finalized. It makes them happy to know the children have fared well in life. It makes them happy and proud to know they were a part of these successful children. I imagine it's painful to take care of a child for a year or two and then never hearing about the child again. Promise them you'll send them updates, and do it.

Sure, you can also buy something for the orphanage, but money is short lived - knowledge that a child is growing and thriving is forever.

Mom said...

The kids are gorgeous! How difficult it must be to leave them, but you will be back SOON!

Jennifer A. said...

My heart aches reading this! We were there not so long ago - and I still feel the pain of saying goodbye, even though we are now together and home. How do you meet your child(ren) and then travel across the world only to wait for a date to be reunited? Only faith and love can get you through. Our wait was 3 months...I HOPE yours is shorter!! K's caregivers did their best to care for her and prepare her for us - we are SO thankful for that!

Jeff and Debbie said...

We have kept in touch with our children's caregivers sporadically, sometimes it feels like a chore. But your beautiful words have changed how I look at those women who've been left behind. Thank you for the reminder.

Wishing you a speedy return trip.

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Martha and Lee, how are you doing? You must be back home now waiting for the court date. I hope you're hanging in there and keeping yourselves busy.

Thinking of you.

James and Melanie said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have cried many tears over the first 1 1/2 of BJ's life I wasn't in control of. Over his birth parents, caregivers and the times when no one was there pick him up when he needed some love. It is an emotional journey, but worth it all! God Bless You!