Friday, April 16, 2010

I Cried Today (well, yesterday)

It happened at the US Embassy. I cried to a total stranger. It had been a long day of walking to the Uprising Museum and back. It was hot and we battled crowed streets, skipped lunch, didn’t bring enough water for the trek, and the kiddos wouldn’t go down for naps. There was a miscommunication and I was late to pick up Adam and Aggie’s Visas and left my cab driver with instructions to “stay put” “I will be right back”….who knows how it translated in Polish, but I got out and ran as fast as I could through security, down the hallway and into the Immigration Office. No one was around, so I tapped on the window. A woman heard the commotion, looked at me and yelled out something in Polish that I didn’t understand. All I could speak was “Nie Rozumeum” (I don’t understand). All I could think was “this is the US Embassy, please speak English!” I had to ring a bell for an Immigration officer to come to my aid. Then, from around the corner, a woman with short brown hair, a beautiful face and a soft, caring voice arrived with all the paper work in her hand. She had…..……..the sealed envelopes. (As a side note, I had been told they would be white, but they were manilla……just so the other adopting couples know ☺). I think the “Sealed” envelopes subconsciously must have meant everything to me because the minute I saw them I choked. The envelopes must be delivered to Immigrations upon arriving in the US through customs. Unopened and in tack. It was the last thing I had to do before being able to pack up and come home. I couldn’t help it……. and I cried to a total stranger. The tears rolled down my face as the stress was released. She nodded as if she understood or had seen this before and began to explain everything to do. All I really heard was “don’t open the envelopes” and “have a safe trip home”. I have the two envelopes, I have my two treasures, and I am ready to come home.

This whole adoption process is not for the faint of heart, or the stubborn, or inflexible. To a large degree you have to “go with the flow”, be kind, put your faith and trust in others, pray and smile a lot. Like those before me, I have put my game face on everyday in the midst of trying to figure out how and what it means to be a mother……and after 7 weeks in a foreign world, well……I am exhausted and I think I have lost 15 lbs., but I and my loving husband are figuring it out. What an adventure, what a journey, and what a gift. Thank you to all my followers for your support and words of encouragement. When I get home, I promise to get up to speed on what is happening with everyone else and return the wonderful support your have shown us. Now, let’s just hope an erupting volcano in Iceland, doesn’t keep us here another day! If it does, I will have to make yet another trip to a Sklep for food and I am done and over it! :) Oh, and I might cry tomorrow if the Poland air space doesn't open up. It's just crazy I tell you!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you all morning. I checked you blog before I left the house & now checking again before lunch. I'm so happy you have........the envelopes!
With Vito and Ramie stuck in Toronto trying to get to Poland and you in Poland trying to get home, it IS crazy.
I'm so glad your entire family will be together at home soon. What a journey!

C Speh said...

Ah yes, the great customer service at the US embassy. I love traveling and being abroad, learning new customs, languages, etc. But getting the support from the US embassy on our last day before our flight home was also a crying moment. They seem to always go above and beyond to help families get home. We all did a "we are in America" dance when we were in the embassy. Gotta love them! Glad you had a good experience with them as well.

Hope you guys get home soon and safley. Who knew a volcano would be the next "thing" you had to contend with prior to finishing your trip!

PolishMom said...

Martha -

Don't worry, I cried like a baby at the embassy and then at the airport. I think it is the build up of stress and being away from home for so long.

Our airline decided to 'downsize' their jet at the last moment so we were left without seats! We were told we couldn't go home for at least 2 more days. I had a major meltdown (not pretty on a 30+ year old woman), my husband had to step in for me and we ended up going home in first class. A good ending but I think they learned not to mess with a mama who had been in country for over 7 weeks and just wanted to go home :-).

Can't wait for June to meet your new little ones! Enjoy!!!

Tom and Kara said...

Oh Martha, that is too funny! I can only imagine how you felt when she handed those envelopes to you. I can’t believe tomorrow is already Saturday- I am saying a million prayers for you that you can get on an airplane tomorrow!!

kelly said...

Yea!! You have all you need to come home!! I hope & pray for you that the skies clear & you can come home, the end is soooo hard!!! Safe travels :-)

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

I still find it amazing that almost every adoption story has a stressful moment to make it in time to the U.S. Embassy to get the envelopes.

I can only imagine your anxiety right now wondering if the Polish skies open up tomorrow for your flight. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that all will go well and you won't need another trip to the sklep.

Have a safe flight back home.

sarah said...

My eyes are watering with you...

Hold tight to those sealed envelopes, hold tight to your babies. We'll keep busy sending every last good thought we can think of to move that volcanic ash out of your way!

Julie said...

I am crying tears of joy as I read this to Alyssa and my Mom. God provides!! We anxiously await your homecoming. God moves mountains, we have faith he will move volcanic ash also. Have a safe trip home and Happy Birthday Aggie!

kelly said...

It's afternoon, I'm wondering if you're on your way home....hope you are! Can't wait to see updates from the US!! Safe travels :-)

Unknown said...

I was just thinking of you today. Hope you make it home soon. Glad everything worked out with the Embassy!

Ramie said...

I am so glad you have all of your paperwork! I can't imagine how many emotions you are feeling right now. You are a strong woman. I am pretty sure you are still in Poland waiting for flights to resume. We are carefully watching the news every minute to see if we can get out. I pray that you are all safe and together and will make it home very soon!

The Rzentkowski's said...

I can relate!

I'm wondering if you're on your way home, or making your last, last trip to the store, and just wondering how you're doing.

Here's prayers that the path before you is cleared and you make it home quickly and safely.

James and Melanie said...

I remember those days well! you love being a mom and the great experience of being in Poland. But after two months, all you want to do is "go home!" At least you completed the biggest step of all "the envelopes!" Now just getting home! We hope you made it okay! I heard today that they just opened the airways. You're in our prayers!